Thread: Which position? - help please

Which position? - help please

We have just received our Jeff Beck noiseless pickups as an upgrade.

There is no indication of which pickup goes where in the body.

Two pickups have black and white wiring and the third has yellow and black wiring, and all wires anre the same length.

Which one goes where? ? ?

Thanks

Forum Member

Re: Which position? - help please

The odd pup with the yellow and black leads will go in the bridge position. If there's no indication of which of the others goes in the neck and which in the middle, I'd say they're probably identical, and each can go in either position.

That's how the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups work, anyhow. Can you see any serial numbers on them? On the VNs, the neck and middle pups have identical serial numbers, and the bridge pup with the different color "hot" wire has a different S/N.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    The odd pup with the yellow and black leads will go in the bridge position. If there's no indication of which of the others goes in the neck and which in the middle, I'd say they're probably identical, and each can go in either position.

That's how the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups work, anyhow. Can you see any serial numbers on them? On the VNs, the neck and middle pups have identical serial numbers, and the bridge pup with the different color "hot" wire has a different S/N.
    Why didnt I think of that! yes the black and white wired PUPs are 53336, and the yellow and black wired PUP is 53326.

So the yello/black goes at the bridge and the other two in either neck or centre.

Thanks

Forum Member

Interestingly, that's the opposite of the American Deluxe, according to the wiring diagram on the Fender site. It uses a pair of 053326's in the neck and middle positions, and an 053336 at the bridge.

I guess the pups on the Jeff Beck guitar are Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, though, given those serial numbers. I'd wondered about that; in descriptions I've seen of the guitar, they're just called "special design noiseless" pickups or something like that -- I wasn't sure if they were VNs, like on the Clapton sig, or SCNs. I guess they don't refer to them as SCNs since they're not the usual SCN set.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg