Thread: $139 For A Les Paul???

$139 For A Les Paul???

No, that's not a misprint. It's Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day, and it's an Epiphone, not a Gibson. Some would argue they're the same thing.

I have no disrespect for Epiphone. John Lennon played one. My personal opinion is Epiphone is doing more these days than bigger brother, Gibson.

But $139.00??!? That's almost sacreligious! It's an Epiphone Les Paul Special-I limited-edition in Worn Pelham Blue. Looks pretty good, if you ask me.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: $139 For A Les Paul???

FYI. It?s a bolt on neck. Not a glued in.
    not trying to be a snob, but I?ve had the chance to play 3 of those. The work needed to get any of those 3 playable and sounding a touch better (read as stage/studio ready), would exceed 139. I?d say pass.
    Mark

You'll have to enlighten me. I've heard other claim that bolt-on necks are problematic. Yet, Fender's guitars are ALL bolt-on necks, and people love the fact they can swap them and replace them at will. What's the deal?
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You'll have to enlighten me. I've heard other claim that bolt-on necks are problematic. Yet, Fender's guitars are ALL bolt-on necks, and people love the fact they can swap them and replace them at will. What's the deal?
    Same deal, Fender Squier necks are remarkably inconsistent and usually require a lot of work to get them right these days. Epiphones are not the same as Gibsons by a long shot. You're comparing veneers to real maple tops for starters. Usually a scarfed neck vs one-piece. Some of the higher end Epiphones are quite nice, but they are well north of $1000 USD and still feature veneers, poly and metric hardware.

Now, that said, the high-end Epiphones are fine working tools for a gigging guitarist.

The issue with Gibson these days is they are top, top end guitars and you pay the price for that.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

But doesn't that support the idea that bolt-on necks are swappable? Sure, putting a new neck on reduces the cost saving of buying an inexpensive guitar, but even if the replacement neck costs $300, that still would make a guitar like this a steal at $439.

No, I get it - the $139 guitar probably doesn't have the same fit and finish as its higher-end cousin (you usually get what you pay for), but if you compare it to those "beginner packages" you find on Amazon which include the guitar, amp, strap, bag, lesson CD and extra strings for the same price, you are probably getting a guitar that is at least playable, if not one you'd want to gig with or record using.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Same deal, Fender Squier necks are remarkably inconsistent and usually require a lot of work to get them right these days. Epiphones are not the same as Gibsons by a long shot. You're comparing veneers to real maple tops for starters. Usually a scarfed neck vs one-piece. Some of the higher end Epiphones are quite nice, but they are well north of $1000 USD and still feature veneers, poly and metric hardware.

Now, that said, the high-end Epiphones are fine working tools for a gigging guitarist.

The issue with Gibson these days is they are top, top end guitars and you pay the price for that.
    Agreed.

Old Strummer, 2 of them I?ve encountered, both are owned by musicians I have played with in a group. Neither one would stay in tune. Crud tuners. Nut poorly cut. Frets not well done. 1 had wiring issues. The other had a a neck pocket issue. All 3 had the 1st three things I listed. To replace tuners, nut and get a level crown on the frets will cost more than the guitar.

I have nothing against Epiphone, but also realize this the bottom line of Epiphones. It’s truly meant as a begineers guitar. Honestly, the 3 I have played I’m not sure would even make good boat oars.
    Mark

Well, I hope everyone realizes this was more a "talking point" than an effort to promote a $139 guitar. For starters, with 41 guitars taking up a room in my house, plus my proclivity for things Fender and/or acoustic, a $139 Les Paul by any name is the farthest thing from my mind!
    Striving to be ordinary

Considering a good neck is 2 to 3 times the price of the guitar what's the point? And remember, you Warmoth and Allparts necks come with "most major fretwork done" but usually still require final leveling, crowning and polishing. So, there's usually a lot more than just four screws to swapping a neck.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Well, I hope everyone realizes this was more a "talking point" than an effort to promote a $139 guitar. For starters, with 41 guitars taking up a room in my house, plus my proclivity for things Fender and/or acoustic, a $139 Les Paul by any name is the farthest thing from my mind!
    Ok and that?s fine. I didn?t think you were promoting it. I just didn?t want you to waste (in my opinion), $139. LOL
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Considering a good neck is 2 to 3 times the price of the guitar what's the point? And remember, you Warmoth and Allparts necks come with "most major fretwork done" but usually still require final leveling, crowning and polishing. So, there's usually a lot more than just four screws to swapping a neck.
    Having own(ed) 5 Warmoth necks (have 3 currently), all were decades better than the 3 Epi necks on those guitars I played.
    Mark

What I like best about this thread is that it (once again) got people on this board talking. It's been soooooo quiet lately...
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Having own(ed) 5 Warmoth necks (have 3 currently), all were decades better than the 3 Epi necks on those guitars I played.

I would hope so. Evern worse, the last three Fenders I looked at (Corona models whatever that means these days) were unplayable. I would have to do a total refret on them to make them work. That of course, assumes you can play the necks that are so small, apparently to save money on wood. Sad.

Fender has seemingly gone into a mode where they sell the brand to collectors and hobbiest and if you're a serious musician you need to go custom shop.

That' seems to be what Gibson is doing too, all the US Gibsons are extremely well-crafted objects d'art and they have positioned the high end Eppies to be the players' models. Nothing wrong with that. I played an Epi Korina V the other day and it was fantastic. Comes with the Gibson USA electronics and a hard shell for under $1200. Neck was righteous.