Thread: Parts list question for a 5E3

Forum Member

Parts list question for a 5E3

Hello all
    So I built a 5E3 and it came out great. But I have a few questions for people that have more experience than myself.
    Does anyone have a part number for the style of speaker jack that fender used? The mojo kit came with a metal pancake right angle connector. I want a straight connector that has a little more room for the solder joint. The stranded push back wire they sent did not fit in the eyelets of that jack. I also had the same problem with the heater wire they sent. It was bigger than all the other wire in the kit and it was stranded.
    Here?s my questions
    1) does anyone know a part number for a straight speaker jack like the ones fender used? I found a switchcraft 250 that looks pretty similar and has a plastic base
    2) what gauge pushback wire is typical for the speaker wire?
    3) what gauge pushback wire is used for the green filiment wire?
    4) is the same gauge used for everything in the amp?
    I had no problem anywhere else in the build. My difficulty seems to be in the bigger guage wire and the fact that it was stranded and not solid

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Parts list question for a 5E3

The Switchcraft 250 plug is what I used for my 5E3 build. Speaker wiring should be AWG 18ga. AFAIK single-strand AWG 22ga is used consistently for most internal wiring except for the HV connections.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Re: Parts list question for a 5E3

I use 18ga for heaters, although many feel 20ga is suficient. For all else I use 20 or 22ga solid, it tends to stay where you put it. Some like the tinned stranded Gavitt wire, it too stays where you put it.
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...oth-cover-600v

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...oat-pre-tinned