Thread: Blues Deluxe Speaker ?

Forum Member

Blues Deluxe Speaker ?

Hi folks,
    I have a BDRI, couple years old. Considering a few Celestion speakers:
    G12-65
    G12M Creamback
    G12H Creamback
    Maybe the Alnico Cream (dang expensive) but may be an option if I know it's "the one to get."
    I've tried a Texas Heat- not as sweet as I would like. Still some harsh tones.
    Also have a WGS G12c. Better but missing some bottom end. Still a little shrill at times.
    The Swamp Thang is recommended by many online reviews. But the TH and ST are supposedly similar and I'm afraid if the TH wasn't my jam, then the ST probably isn't either.
    Sound I'm going for is good'ol Strat blues, SRV, Hendrix, Mayer... the usual suspects.
    Anybody have experience with the Celestions mentioned? Or, any other suggestions are welcomed.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by TPace; 06-12-2024 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Re: Blues Deluxe Speaker ?

The sound you're looking for isn't in the speakers.

And it all depends, if you're in the bedroom you'll need a different speaker than having a cranked amp baffled or in an iso box.
    What's the situation you're playing in?

Are you using larger strings so we need the speaker to tighten up the bottom or light strings so we need to add silver?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The sound you're looking for isn't in the speakers.

And it all depends, if you're in the bedroom you'll need a different speaker than having a cranked amp baffled or in an iso box.
    What's the situation you're playing in?

Are you using larger strings so we need the speaker to tighten up the bottom or light strings so we need to add silver?
    I currently use 10's by Curt Mangan. Years ago in the 90's I used 11's because of course that's what one did to play a Strat right? Ha!
    My typical volume will be home use, alone with a backing track but occasionally will jam with friends at moderate/small club volumes.

TFF Stage Crew

This is just my opinion, but I'd go with some kind of 12" AlNiCo speaker. I've always found that an improvement over ceramic
    It probably won't be as efficient, but the tone is more pleasing to my ears, more musical

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I'd go with some kind of 12" AlNiCo speaker. I've always found that an improvement over ceramic
    It probably won't be as efficient, but the tone is more pleasing to my ears, more musical

I tend to agree, the BD is 40W which is insanely loud for the average working musician. I'd want a speaker that breaks up as early as possible because you'll never get the power section singing at less than ear-splitting volumes.

I'd also consider an offboard reverb on that amp. But in reality, if you need one that loud before chasing speakers, I'd consider a Bassman or DR. Lately I've grown quite fond of Princeton Reverbs as Swiss-Army amps. Small enough to sound big and big enough to get the job done.

My understanding is the BDRI is pretty much a HRD with some component values changed or components omitted. That being the case I'd be contemplating how much money I want to put in one out of warranty.

Or am confusing it with the Blues Deville? Too may BD's in the Fender lineup lol!

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 06-17-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim