Thread: NGD

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

NGD

Picked up a wine red LP Supreme today at a store I consult. Their scale measures in .5 lb increments. Weighed it 8 times. 5 were 7.5 lbs, 3 were 8 lbs.

[IMG]
    Mark

Re: NGD

PS: what won me over was a tone through a largely clean amp with some chorus and verb. Middle pup position. Tap the neck, put it out of phase, and hit the blower (bypass) switch. Even the owner of the store came over to see what was making that tone (in a good way). Closest I can say it was like a Brian May and a Gretsch cross-breeded (which I both own) and took serious steroids.

He then took the other Supreme he had in stock and set it up the same way. He was demoing it for another customer as I was leaving.

A really good tone, definitely not traditional, but I have other LPs for that.

It can be traditional thought as needed. I liked the blower switch (it?s a push pull on a tone pot). Very minimal volume change, but a noticeable gain change. Very usable.
    Mark

Mark, is that wine red or oxblood? Hard to tell from phtots but look like it might be oxblood which was sometimes used on Supremes. Most Supremes are highly figured and that almost looks like a pain top in the phtot which also makes me wonder if it's oxblood not showing the flame in the pic. Could just be there's some wired lighting going on at that store.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I agree Chuck. It was labeled as wine red. If so it?s the darkest one I?ve seen. It?s just a hair lighter than my Oxblood Std. And that?s fine by me. There is some figuring in the top, and a bit easier to see than on my Ox Std. Nothing wild or crazy though. When I first caught sight of it Ithought it was Ox.
    Mark

If you pull out the pickups it might be marked in on of the cavities. It will often be marked LPS OB or RW accordingly.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Chuck. I checked and wine red is the official color. I just viewed 5 others at Sweetwater and all are that deep in color. Yep on the edge of Oxblood. It?s like Oxblood without the hint of brown that?s normally used for that color. I'll pull the pups later when I do a string change.
    Mark

Whatever she is, she's a looker! I've always wanted Super 400 inlays, the chandelier is the icing on the cake.