Thread: Days are Going to Get Shorter Blues - Sunday Thread!

Days are Going to Get Shorter Blues - Sunday Thread!

On the down-slope already. Hope your Sunday is a productive one. Getting ready for a business trip to Minneapolis this week. Also a new title - Associate Executive Director For Field Services and Technology. No real changes to what I do, but a nicer new title and more money! The board wanted to recognise me for 30 years of work. It's been HOT, but last night we had huge T'Storms blow through and more predicted for today.

Have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Days are Going to Get Shorter Blues - Sunday Thread!

Congratulations on the new title (meaning, "raise")! It's been eight months since I retired and I don't miss the titles, the commute, the meetings, the travel and the gamesmanship. I kind of miss the income, but all the reduction in income has done is make me a lot more reticent to buy another new guitar!

I'm playing a lot these days, and am adding new songs to my repertoire as well as revisiting some I haven't played in a while. Since we're having a heat wave with not a lot of clouds or rain, staying indoors and whiling away the time on a guitar or two is just fine with me ("Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Bony fingers").

A typical Sunday for me lined up: Church, lunch at my favorite place, an afternoon baseball game, and a bunch of guitar playing. I'll probably rest today, as I've been averaging about five miles a day out exercising (I go early to beat the heat). My biggest challenge is going to be what to have for dinner!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

My wife and I drove into Chicago yesterday and it was a strange trip weatherwise. When we left our home at 7:00 AM it was 72? with a blinding, pouring rain that lasted for about an hour of the trip. When I got to the Bucktown area of Chicago it was sunny and 92?. We were told it hadn't rained there at all lately. We stopped for an early dinner in Milwaukee where we ran into rain once again, and by the time we got home the temperature was back down to 72? and it was raining. That was quite an interesting trip.

Tomorrow we have our first rehearsal with the group I put together to play the annual Bryan Lee Blues Festival on JUly 13th. An hour show so maybe 15 songs.

Friday night played a local show, then last night an out-of-towner. Both shows we got 20% tips so that worked out good. Still pretty sore from two nights. Had to pop a couple a Aleve's this morning.

Last night's show the venue has serious power issues, so pulled the DR and a RAT out of the truck and had at it. That was FUN! Big outdoor stage so pushed the throttles forward on the DR and let 'er rip. Old school, baby.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

grey foggy start today, would have had the heat on except bro's GF was here and complaining about being hot at 72 degrees. My hands are like ice. Both of them have left, got the house to myself until saturday night. Turned the ac off. Allegedly it's going to warm up to 89 degrees today

Woke up Tuesday morning to the news that my friend in FL had left us. No word yet on services or memorials

going to putter around in the cellar today, moving stuff around, get ready to accept stuff from the garage. I want to get some of those plastic export pallets to put down on the cellar floor to raise the boxes off the concrete. Get ready to move some furniture down as well. Get some milk crates to put my amps up on.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I?m way late posting. Works had me busier than a single bull in a herd or 20,000 heifers.
    fri 12 hrs. Sat 14 hrs. Sun 12 hrs

Saw this coming and canceled out of the gigs I had lined up those days back last Monday.
    Even skipped church ( even online) to work. Hopefully this finally gets me the carrot of a 15% increase documented in my offer letter. Technically I have already fulfilled the requirements for it, but rather than press the issue as I enjoy my job, let?s see if this does it.

if not, I may get cantankerous. Show the doc to the CFO (my boss), and say remember this? I have easily not only fulfilled these items but expanded and enhanced them. As the CFO is the one who deals the attys. Show this doc you asked me to sign which in fact is a contract. Ask the attys what you exposure is to breach of contract.

The plan this weekend was to spend 4 hours (2 hrs each) with 2 new to me guitars. Best laid plans LOL. I’m hoping to get an hr tonight with the Ric 360v64. Toss of first song is still within the same group, The Jam (my fave punk band, if they’re even really punk). Eton Rifles or Down at the Tube Station at Midnight hopefully.
    Mark

Late to the party as usual.
    Started riding my bicycle again. Just a few miles at a time. Working back up to my usual 25 mile spins. Motorcycle is next!
    Actually picked up a guitar a few days ago. It's coming back!
    New album has been very well received. Just might have an official release party so I can be a big shot for the day and celebrate the people who have inspired the effort.
    Good days are coming...
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 06-25-2024 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Late to the party as usual.
    Started riding my bicycle again. Just a few miles at a time. Working back up to my usual 25 mile spins. Motorcycle is next!
    Actually picked up a guitar a few days ago. It's coming back!
    New album has been very well received. Just might have an official release party so I can be a big shot for the day and celebrate the people who have inspired the effort.
    God days are coming...
    So glad to hear things are looking up!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ditto that! Glad to hear you've got an album out there in the wild. Well done!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Ditto that! Glad to hear you've got an album out there in the wild. Well done!
    It's only 6 tunes, but it's all I could do before surgery that has left me a bit challenged where guitar playing is concerned.

Good stuff Bob. Been thinking of you a lot lately. Good to see things are coming together for you. Like I said earlier, whenever you feel up to it come sit in with us and knock the rust off if you want.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Good stuff Bob. Been thinking of you a lot lately. Good to see things are coming together for you. Like I said earlier, whenever you feel up to it come sit in with us and knock the rust off if you want.

Chuck
    I will gratefully take you up on that Chuck. I'm going to wait til such a time when I know I can get it done effectively. Right now my playing is suffering from fits and starts. Not smooth. There's nothing like a gig to blow out the chambers and force a guy back into the groove! Thank You!