Thread: HRD with Fromel mods

Forum Member

HRD with Fromel mods

I just got a 2005 HRD that had some Fromel cap mods... sounds GREAT. Change the tone stack to a twin reverb, add bright caps, replace filter caps, bypass caps and plate load resistors. Anyone else had any Fromel mods done to the Fender amps?

Re: HRD with Fromel mods

Quote Originally Posted by RobMct View Post
    I just got a 2005 HRD that had some Fromel cap mods... sounds GREAT. Change the tone stack to a twin reverb, add bright caps, replace filter caps, bypass caps and plate load resistors. Anyone else had any Fromel mods done to the Fender amps?

Nope. I just got a brand new Hot Rod Deluxe so I won't be nodding iť for the next 3 years lol. Not until the warranty and extended warranty are up.

Luckily, it seems that Fender has addressed at least 1 of the common issues with these amps: the 5w ceramic cement resistors that always end up scorching the PCB.

I bought this just about a month ago. When I pulled the rear panel off, I was shocked to see that Fender has lifted the 5w resistors up off of the pcb and there's now an air gap between them and the pcb. Not only that but they also use a different shaped resistor that isn't flat across the bottom. It kicks up in the center so only the corners of the resistor would touch the PCB.

Let me see if I can post a Pic I took. I couldn't get a good angle to show how high the resistors are but you can see what I'm saying about thr shape of the bottom not being flat.

Edited: here's those pics I took. You can see where they rise up in the middle of the resistor, giving an even bigger air gap for most of the resistor. You also see the tubes they put over the legs now that they're longer, so nothing accidentally touches them.

Gee,I wonder what the diodes are for :).
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Gee,I wonder what the diodes are for :).

They're just there for looks obviously

Or to burn up the pcb :shrug: :

Really, I'm not sure what you even posted that for. I'm not the one who designed this thing. I'm not the one who left them on the pcb while raising the resistors, either.

Maybe tell that to Fender.