Thread: The Thread For the Second Sunday of September

The Thread For the Second Sunday of September

It?s been quite the busy week for my wife and me. We spent a lot of time in our Corvette driving to Lincoln, Nebraska to watch our son Run his Corvette in the SCCA Solo Nationals. It was a fun time and we got to spend some time with him with us both driving around nine hours to get to Lincoln; him from Texas and Wisconsin for us. Now we have to get back into the daily routine of daily life.

Hope all have a great Sunday!

Re: The Thread For the Second Sunday of September

Happy Sunday! Today I begin packing for my trip to Ireland. I leave tomorrow, but since it's Sunday, I'm going to start figuring out what I'll need. The weather there is supposed to be low 50s to mid 70s, and rain a few days, so I need cool weather gear. I don't have much else I need to do, so after church and lunch, I'll put some baseball on TV and start my packing list. I didn't use to be so detail-oriented with my packing, but then my trips weren't as long as they are now that I'm retired.

Today's weather is going to be much like the anticipated weather on my trip, so it will be a good opportunity to get a nice, long walk around the neighborhood.

Stay safe!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Happy Sunday! Today I begin packing for my trip to Ireland. I leave tomorrow, but since it's Sunday, I'm going to start figuring out what I'll need. The weather there is supposed to be low 50s to mid 70s, and rain a few days, so I need cool weather gear. I don't have much else I need to do, so after church and lunch, I'll put some baseball on TV and start my packing list. I didn't use to be so detail-oriented with my packing, but then my trips weren't as long as they are now that I'm retired.

Today's weather is going to be much like the anticipated weather on my trip, so it will be a good opportunity to get a nice, long walk around the neighborhood.

Stay safe!
    Enjoy!
    Mark

Not a whole lot to report, but though it important to at least check in!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Really enjoying the new Alvarez acoustic that I didn't really need. Been playing more over the past few days than I have over the past few weeks!

Been doing a lot more finger picking and working on ideas using a 3 count type feel like Tied to the Whipping Post, Lucky Man, etc. I have been going over some old song ideas and changing them from a 4 count to a 3 count. Really interesting things are coming out of it. I had written what I though was a great song several months ago only to realize suddenly that the chord structure was Heart So Big by Tom Petty. I changed that to a 3 count and it sounds really cool. All is not lost! LOL!

More bicycle riding on a chilly morning. Trying to break 1000 miles before it gets cold. Should be able to do it.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

cool weather for great sleeping weather, it warms up a bit next week. Thought I was going over to my buddy's house to jam today but last night he texted asking if he should bring his amp so it might actually be here at my place. I'll know in the next hour or so. Got to do a little tidying. If here, it will be the first jam hosted at the little failed frat house ranch. Football at 1:00 and at least 10 more games this season at that hour. Mediocrity has its merits, apparently.

nothing sold this week, I need to get more than one item listed at a time so this week should see more activity than usual.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Football at 1:00 and at least 10 more games this season at that hour. Mediocrity has its merits, apparently.
    You guys had Brady and Belichek for so long, you got spoiled. Welcome to earth. (Looks like Kansas City is now the center of the universe).
    Striving to be ordinary

Well, been a busy weekend. Today I had a gig and had to bring my backline (not hard as I keep 1 in my truck) as the one there was being repurposed for the day. Well it semi-let me done as the vol pedal didn't work on 2 patches (must have screwed them up the other day). Was able to work through that and had a great gig. Got home and rectified the issue. Also put together a deal sheet for the music store I consult.

Yesterday, I stopped in to talk to the owner and offer some insights, etc. Was offered a nice deal on:

New Martin 000-28-EC in sunburst. Not my color choice but the playability and tone was awesome.
    Along with it, a used Eric Clapton Strat (black) in very good condition that also plays and sounds great.

They again proactively offered a great deal on the "EC package". Right now, I'm not comfortable in spending that amount out of my discretionary funds. Thus why I created a deal sheet. I'd be trading a few things in. Already did the research on SOLD prices on Reverb for similar condition for my trades, did the math allowing them a 50% margin, and the number works for me.

Now to see if it works for them.

The Strat was nice, but that Martin was FANTASTIC. I need to go back tomorrow with a new set of ears again and validate.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Well, been a busy weekend. Today I had a gig and had to bring my backline (not hard as I keep 1 in my truck) as the one there was being repurposed for the day. Well it semi-let me done as the vol pedal didn't work on 2 patches (must have screwed them up the other day). Was able to work through that and had a great gig. Got home and rectified the issue. Also put together a deal sheet for the music store I consult.

Yesterday, I stopped in to talk to the owner and offer some insights, etc. Was offered a nice deal on:

New Martin 000-28-EC in sunburst. Not my color choice but the playability and tone was awesome.
    Along with it, a used Eric Clapton Strat (black) in very good condition that also plays and sounds great.

They again proactively offered a great deal on the "EC package". Right now, I'm not comfortable in spending that amount out of my discretionary funds. Thus why I created a deal sheet. I'd be trading a few things in. Already did the research on SOLD prices on Reverb for similar condition for my trades, did the math allowing them a 50% margin, and the number works for me.

Now to see if it works for them.

The Strat was nice, but that Martin was FANTASTIC. I need to go back tomorrow with a new set of ears again and validate.
    Well, I was gonna offer to take that 000-28EC off your hands because I knew you wouldn't be pleased with it. Then I read your last sentence. Poop.

AND a black EC Strat. Can you tell I'm green with envy?
    Striving to be ordinary

EC Strats are definitely an acquired taste. I've never been able to bond with the active electronics. I do like the necks though. I dig big chunky necks. I've found as I get older the chunkier the better for keeping hands comfy during a show.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    EC Strats are definitely an acquired taste. I've never been able to bond with the active electronics. I do like the necks though. I dig big chunky necks. I've found as I get older the chunkier the better for keeping hands comfy during a show.

Chuck
    Agreed. It's getting more difficult to play smaller necks for me too. Arthritis is rearing its ugly head!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Chuck
    I really don't need another Strat (have 4 each different), but in the package deal its $500 off. If it doesn't wow me, I could flip it and make some cash.
    Mark

Well grabbed the EC 000-28. Did not take the EC Strat. It did nothing for me. 1st it weighed 8lbs, next without the mid boost it just was there, nothing special. Rather than try to flip it for cash to get the deal price, worked out a good deal on the Martin solo.

Got rid of the Guild OM. It was very good but not exceptional. Getting a pickup, install and more off from it. Now to sell a Parker Fly as my PRS 509 covers the same ground.
    Mark