Thread: Guess What? It's the Sunday Thread for September 29, 2024!

Guess What? It's the Sunday Thread for September 29, 2024!

Today is my sister's birthday. I was traveling, so I wasn't able to send her a card. I'll send an electronic one as soon as I finish this.

Happy last Sunday in September, everyone! The after-effects of Hurricane Helene are barely noticeable in my area, but the rain is. Soon, the evenings will be cooler and the leaves will turn. Coming back from Ireland, the weather seems all too familiar.

COVID sliced through our travel group, hitting one third of those on board the bus. I was fortunate, in that if I was affected at all, it was through a cough which has already passed. But I'm staying away from social gatherings for a few days just in case. I played some terrific guitars -- especially the Lowden acoustics. I was sorely tempted to buy one and ship it home, but ye gods, the price! The shipping! The import taxes! Sigh. Still, I have some nice guitars which have stood waiting patiently for me, and I've been giving them a lot of love.

Today is the last day of the regular MLB season. I'll watch, since the post-season has no attraction for me this year. Then, it's on to football, where my interest is returning. A man's gotta do something with his time, right?

Be good, safe and healthy, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Guess What? It's the Sunday Thread for September 29, 2024!

Good morning!!! Summer's an afterthought and fall is on it's way. The yard is already filling up with dead leaves. Today is my wife's birthday - not sure what we'll be doing yet - possibly getting her some lobster rolls at a new place that opened up nearby. I'll get a couple of their ind=credible hot dogs - not into lobster, myself. Busy week - lots of work events followed by a quick trip to Nashville to see my mother. They say she's declining cognitively pretty quickly. I've only known her for about 4 years, so it's hard to know what she was like when she was younger, but I'm grateful to have had any time with her at all. Have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It looks to be another mid 70? day here behind the Cheddar Curtain with no rain in the forecast, not exactly what you want to see when you are trying to grow a completely re-seeded new lawn. For the last two months my water bill has doubled because of all the water I'm spraying onto my lawn thanks to, virtually, no rain. I'm just hoping it is rooted well enough to survive a Wisconsin winter.

Other than that, time to get on the Harley and head out for breakfast with my usual group of Sunday morning friends.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Had lots of rain as remains of Helene. Finally a somewhat dry day. Consulted the music store yesterday as well as went through todays set list to pick a guitar. The rebuilt Strat I built back in 2005 got the nod. Sounds and plays great. It?s more of a late 60s sound than 50s. Today is pay some bills, watch some football and a nap.
    Mark

our game is a late afternoon slaughter, er, affair on the west coast. My jam buddy has to take his son to senior class picture taking session. Likelihood of jamming are pretty minimal. If I go there, I have to leave at half time to get home before dark. he lives out in the sticks where everybody but me drives a full size pickup or SUV with excessively bright headlights.

Can't believe it's almost October. Impatiently waiting for my SS deposit as I need to go shopping, fill my gas tank etc. It normally would have been there by yesterday. On the other hand, I did not go out last night to see an old band I've known play so I didn't spend anything besides it was not only out of town but out of state. 9 weeks since I've last gone anywhere. Next chance to see these guys will be in town in November so I'll sit tight. Austerity sucks.

Need to decide what to sell next, the spare CV50 Tele or the MJT strat. Going to put the CS strat back down cellar and bring up the Les Paul. Next week will probably be the Yamaha acoustic, then the CV60 P bass and start over with the old CV50 Tele.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Chillin' like a villain. Nice show last night. Local and done by 10, home by 11. That's nice.

Been leaving the rack gear home and using some live amps and pedals to keep things fresh, sound engineer is great and he seems to know exactly how to mic me up and mix my monitor. The difference a pro sound engineer makes cannot be overstated! DR is way, way, way too loud for most stages so I've been trying out some loaners including a Princeton Reverb, Pro Jr. and a Tiny Terror with a closed-back single 12. Loving the Pro Jr. for that 70's sound. The new ones have a Jensen in them and they retain the clean headroom a bit longer which is nice. I have an A/B/Y so I can run them in live situations and compare. We could baffle the DR but that's more crap to deal with onstage so a lunchbox amp makes life easy. I have a 2000W FRFR guitar monitor in my mug onstage so we can take a small amp, let 'r rip and I can hear the FOH sound. Since I rarely, if ever use reverb onstage and have it added at the board the lack of reverb on the TT or Pro is no issue. The Orange sounds great but it's a bit fiddly compared to the Pro Jr., so I guess I'm in the market for a good Pro Jr. - but I did just get a call from someone with an original Boogie Mk1 so that means I may have two more amps, lol.

Rack is still there for larger venues, It can wirelessly DI to the board so it's so butt-simple and consistent it makes life a breeze.

Band is doing well and booked out over a year now. We've been rotating at bass, got two great players and it's fun to switch them out and see how the groove responds. Keeps it interesting for the rest of us so we don't get bored with the set list.

Gonna hang today and then watch the football tonight.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Still picking away on the new Alvarez. Rode my bicycle 75 mile over the last 3 days for a 2024 total so far of 1,075 miles. Last year I rode 1400 miles and hope to equal that this year. No new gear, recordings, gigs or music to report at this point. Still have it in me. No opportunities.
    We've got the CuNiFe