Thread: Where to Sell?

Where to Sell?

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that I need to move some of the guitars I have that I no longer use. I need to fund the purchase of a lovely Lowden S-35c and I don't want to dip into my retirement savings in order to do so. Most of the guitars I will part ways with are electric, as I find I'm playing acoustic almost exclusively.

I have a couple of Gibson SGs, an ES-335, and maybe a Strat or Tele or two.

Many of you wheel and deal gear all the time. My gauge for a guitar's value is usually what the market is reporting on Reverb. I will likely post these items there once I determine what the cost to me (packing, shipping, fees, etc.) will be. However, there are other venues available to me also, such as Guitar Center and online forums such as this.

What is the consensus opinion of those here who engage the turnover trade? I'm not looking to make a killing, but I don't want to take a bath, either.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Where to Sell?

Don't ignore Craig's List. It's free and if you succinctly specify your terms and rendezvous at a public location during daylight hours you may find a suitable buyer. I flipped an old Alamo practice amp for a $60 profit and with some patience pocketed a 400% profit on a Ampeg Gemini Amp.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

To determine price, use the Sold items filter on Reverb.
    I use depending on value: Reverb, my local store, forums I belong to, FB marketplace and Craigslist. I tend to not use Craigslist for items 1000 up. Don?t tend to use FB marketplace for items over 1500.

those 2 places are really transactional. People looking for a good condition high end instrument don?t search there.

one I didn?t mention is the used area for Sweetwater. I bought my Firebird there. Picture a Reverb environment it seems to have lower fees ( as welll as a smaller audience). Can?t remember their specific name right now.
    Mark

I hadn't thought about Sweetwater, thanks! They charge a 7.5% fee (5% seller free and 2.5% transaction fee). That's good to know.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I have good luck with CL, and sometimes can trade up in the deal, problem is the better market is 120 mi. from my little town.
    I visited Phantomman a few years back, and ended up coming home with a 12 string AE I found on CL, I later traded it for a MIM Strat!

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    To determine price, use the Sold items filter on Reverb.
    I use depending on value: Reverb, my local store, forums I belong to, FB marketplace and Craigslist. I tend to not use Craigslist for items 1000 up. Don?t tend to use FB marketplace for items over 1500.

those 2 places are really transactional. People looking for a good condition high end instrument don't search there.

one I didn't mention is the used area for Sweetwater. I bought my Firebird there. Picture a Reverb environment it seems to have lower fees ( as well as a smaller audience). Can't remember their specific name right now.
    Agreed. I have used some of these with great results. The asking prices on many items are posted by dreamers, or perhaps others just trying to keep prices up. I just sold a mint King of Tone for $500, and an excellent condition 70's Maestro FUZZ-TONE for $500 on Market Place. On the other hand, I haven't had a single inquiry on my early 70's VOX King Wah for $350. My prices are always fair, and as usual, are non-negotiable.
    Prices are coming down.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.