Thread: Yawn. It's Sunday July 28, 2024

Yawn. It's Sunday July 28, 2024

The Summertime Blues must be upon us, as the board has been deathly quiet this week. Only one recognition of the great John Mayall's passing, yikes!

So, I'm still alive here in the mid-Atlantic. Although it's been hot this week, it's been milder than last week, and this morning's temperature is in the 60s. It's supposed to go to 90, so for sure it's summer. The old distance runner in me has been getting up and out in the mornings and putting in 90 minute walks before the oppressive heat sinks in, so I feel pretty good the remainder of the day.

I'm also getting in a lot of practice. I'm hoping to once again take the stage this Tuesday and to that end have two songs I'm getting down. Every day I also pull out an older number just for grins and giggles, and it's a lot fun being a guitar player these days.

Well, coffee first, then a shower and off to church. I'll likely take it easy. Gas up the car, grab a bite of lunch, watch some baseball and strum my guitar. (Retirement) Life is good!

Stay well, stay happy and stay cool, wherever you are!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Yawn. It's Sunday July 28, 2024

Had a great last night at my album release party!
    Capacity crowd and a lot of fun. Got to be a big shot for the night, LOL.
    Back to the low key life of bicycle riding, walking and learning how to play guitar again.
    We've got the CuNiFe

we finally got a break in the weather as well. As of today, there are no 90 degree highs in the 10-day forecast. It even got cool last night. Speaking of which, I ventured downtown to scope bands. First band was not a good sound mix at all. Didn't stay long. Second band at another bar (the one that was closed last week) was much better sound and livelier crowd. The place where I had the magical night last week, dead as a doornail, no band. Even though there was a summer stroll downtown yesterday afternoon, it didn't translate to a much larger crowd later. Just goes to show, it's ephermeral. You either catch it at the right time or it's gone.

On the topic of walking, I've been doing more of that as well. Going to get off the computer in a bit and go out for a stroll.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I keep praying for rain and I think we got a thimble-full in the last three weeks since I had a landscaper totally redo my entire lawn. I am sick of spending 2 1/2 hours each morning moving sprinklers, and to date, there are many bare spots and weeds growing in what once was my lawn. The landscaper says to be patient, but he’s not the guy getting chewed up by gnats and mosquitos every morning.

Yesterday my wife and I got to celebrate a good friend’s 60th wedding anniversary with him and his wife. I’ve known him for 65 years and he gave me one of my first rides in a Corvette when he purchased a new ‘63 fuely convertible. It was a fun evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    he gave me one of my first rides in a Corvette when he purchased a new ?63 fuely convertible.
    Those '63 fuelie Corvettes are classic! The split-window on the hardtop makes the '63 instantly recognizable.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Those '63 fuelie Corvettes are classic! The split-window on the hardtop makes the '63 instantly recognizable.
    I was behind a split window '63 getting on the highway, we were both doing 65 at the bottom of the ramp. When we got on the highway, he hit it and it was like he got shot out of a cannon, or I had hit a brick wall and stopped dead. At 65 mph, the tires chirped and smoked and he was a dot further up the road. Unbelievable acceleration. I'm guessing it was a 427 porcupine head.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've been neglecting this space lately... Had to work yesterday and was not able to attend Telenator/TeleBob's Album Release party. I'm glad it went well. Had a wake today and a funeral tomorrow. A friend and colleague who does the same work I do next door in Massachusetts passed last week. We'd known each other for over 20 years and she was one amazing person. Cranked out a new tune Friday - kind of an American/Zydeco sounding tune... I still need to polish up the lyrics, but it came out pretty good. I'll post it eventually.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Spent the day doing some work, re-doing my musical ins declaration (2 years past do), working up a sequence of some offer for a mediation tomorrow, gassed up the truck, and played a course gigs early evening on guitar.

Oh and ordered a new guitar, case plus stuff. Did an inventory on my gear for the ins declaration and realized where I’m sharing stuff between instruments. That will no longer be the case.
    Mark